Saturday, July 12, 2008

Vintage McCalls 4575 - Seventies Gauze Shirt

I have this thing about collecting 70's patterns, and after this one came in the mail several weeks ago, I was dissapointed to realize that it's for knits only. Thankfully some teal gauze fabric (and it's not to sheer, April!) works perfect for it! I can hardly wait to make another shirt out of this pattern. But now, for a few pictures:


I added some crocheted lace around the sleeves



I ran out of the lace to go around the collar, so I added an extra straight stitch to define it a little more. I do hope that JoAnn's will carry the lace again though, as I think it would finish it off. I might try adding gathers to the front bodice sometime too, or would that look funny?


and so despite a serious look...



...I really do like it! =)

We'll finish our series of totes next week. I was getting tired of sewing them and therefore did a shirt this afternoon. =)

5 comments:

Willow said...

I love how it's a casual shirt, and the lace gives it just the right touch of femininity. :)

Ruth Ann said...

the shirt turned out pretty - and the blue is really pretty!! :) The extra lace around the neck edge would give it a pretty finishing touch, if, Lord willing, JoAnn's has it again! :)

Today I completed a sewing project (yay!) I made a dress to wear to a graduation, involving the colors black, red & white. I ended up making my own pattern from various patterns, and love the way it turned out. Thanks for your encouragement as you so faithfully keep sewing...I love to sew, life has just gotten so busy lately. It was fun to finish a project AND really, really like it! :)

YayaOrchid said...

Your top turned out really nice! I love the fabric too.

Anonymous said...

Hello Cheri!
I hope you won't take this question amiss. I've noticed in the last few pictures of yourself, you aren't wearing a headcovering anymore. Might I ask why?

If you'd rather not satisfy my snoopy curiosity, that's okay too! :)

April said...

Teehee...phew, I'm glad to hear that! ;-) ;-) Seriously, though...that is a VERY nice top! I love the rich color, and gauze IS very nice for peasant-y blouses.

I hope you feel better soon!