Monday, July 06, 2009

A Plaid Shirt for Summer

Using one of the fabrics that I got from Paradise, this weekend I pulled out my favorite Simplicity 4499 and started cutting. I love using patterns that I don't have to alter or change when I'm in a hurry. The high-quality cotton was a breeze to work with too, and comfortable to wear which I am glad for. The green and blue shades remind me of Michigan.

Was I in a hurry to make this? Well, not exactly, but I have a few shirts for work and some for dressy occasions, but not much to mention about that would be labeled under "everyday" that I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear in public. I made it cap-sleeve style and instead of pleating them into the armcycle, I lightly gathered them. The buttons came off of one of Daddy's old work shirts. They've been in my button tin for years (and I have many more!) and I decided that I would use those. Here's hoping that they don't look like they came from a guy's shirt.

One of my sister's agreed to take these pictures, but before doing so, I said that I should iron my skirt first. She said, "Oh, no one will pay attention to it."

So make sure you don't look at it. =)

14 comments:

Ruth Ann said...

I LOVE the plaid - it looks so springy & comfortable. =) And I love projects that come together and I know it'll fit and I'll like it...

~ Shannon said...

Lovely, Cheri! It's so summery and cheerful!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

Willow said...

Well, I probably wouldn't have thought much of the wrinkled skirt, but since you mention it... ;)

YayaOrchid said...

What a nice outfit! Love the blouse fabric and how the skirt fits!

Anonymous said...

Is the skirt wrinkled? LOL! (Looks freshly ironed by my standards!)
I love the shirt so much I think I'm about to buy the pattern off ebay and try it myself! Is it pretty easy? I guess I ought to learn how to do buttonholes first, huh? :)
Nice work!
-Lindsay

LeneJ said...

Such a lovely outfit!

Sarah said...

Lovely fit! I have such troubles with blouse patterns. I love the fabric you used too. Very beautiful, and light and airy for summer. Perfect!

Rachel said...

Like it! I need to get around to making some short-sleeved shirts before winter comes again...life is kinda flying by these days. :)

Alana said...

Very pretty!

Cheri said...

All of you are so kind. Thankyou. =)

Me said...

Cheri,

Very nice indeed; good job! I like that it is modest as well.

Lisa said...

Cu-UU-te!
Oh, the blouse is cute too. Now I know what blouse pattern to acquire...

<3 Lisa

Cindy said...

Didn't notice the skirt, love the shirt. My bustline is too large to have a pattern just fit, so I often don't do shirts. I stick to skirts.
Cindy

Mrs. U said...

How lovely!! You are very talented!! The Lord has definitely blessed you! I have been wanting to learn to sew and have yet to make myself sit down to try and learn.

Keep up your beautiful work!

His,
Mrs. U (heading back to your blog to learn!!!)