Saturday, May 08, 2010

Tip of the Day

You may all laugh with me as I make a post this evening. Especially in reference to my previous post. But I rediscovered how much time one has when a body gets hit with three different aliments in one day. One blessing? Lots of resting, tea, and reading.

Tonight as I was washing my black dressy shirt from being worn when I played in a wedding last weekend, (it has taken me this long to hand wash it ... yes, I've been THAT busy) I remembered a tip that came from one of my sisters sewing friends (thankyou Elizabeth S.!). Have you ever washed items, especially polyesters, to only find that the underarms still have a "left over" smell? The friend gave us the tip of spraying vinegar directly onto the area(s) and then washing as normal.

Tonight I happily found that it works!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Dear Cheri,
Don't feel bad about being busy...we all know that feeling at one time or another. Thanks for the laundry tip...I love these...with 4 hard-working "men" in my household, laundry is definitely an issue!
Have a blessed day!
Laura

Anonymous said...

Great tip! With our hard water, I have found that washing soda and borax are great savers too!

Nathan said...

Hmm,
I can see this for polyesters, but with say cottons wouldn't the vinegar tend to bleach a little? Maybe "bleach" is too strong a word perhaps lighten would be a better term. I have heard of putting a cup of vinegar in the whole load and for non-synthetics I would be more comfortable with that.
I am a great fan of baking soda and I bet it would help fully deodorize problem stuff.
Just a tip don't use vinegar and soda in the same application they react chemically and neutralize each other.