Monday, July 05, 2010

Independence Day Celebrations

As promised, I have pictures to share with you of our Old Fashioned Sunday that we had. Many, many thanks to my wonderful sister who took all of these for me. If you haven't checked out her online shoppe, please do!

The cherry pie I made:
The lemon bars that were a hit (thanks to this recipe that was super easy for a gal who has never made lemon bars before!)
My brother and I dressed up in retro fashion. With a shortage of income, I just made do with whatever was in my closet, which was all from the thrift store: the blue shirt, a black 100% wool skirt: a-line, flared at the hem, and mid calf in length, by Ralph Lauren, and also my never-worn black heels (brand: MUDD) that were thrifted too.

I never did find a hat I liked. Some people just can't pull off looking decently in a hat, however I did like a cloche style hat at Target, but there was no way I was going to pay full price for something that I would only wear on rare occasions. The silver purse was found at an antique store (only $2.50! The lady at the checkout said I got "a screaming deal on this.") It is lined with silk, and has a tag saying that it was made in Germany.
To compliment the silver purse, I worn my vintage rhinestone earrings.

It was lots of fun to dress up, and though my younger brothers (also dressed up like their older brother) lamented that the whole church wasn't dressed up, I encouraged them that someone has to be the first one to step out and do it. And too, what boy wouldn't want a hat like theirs?!

The picnic afterwards was lots of fun. Wonderful food and desserts, lots of fun, old fashioned games, but perhaps my favorite part was the message that our pastor brought out of what Godly men our early Presidents and founding fathers were, and what they stood for. He brought out many quotes and challenges from the words of these men, very much like the quotes in our Hobby Lobby newspaper page which I have written out below.
"It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor." --George Washington

"We have no government armed with power capable to contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever." --Thomas Jefferson

"I've lived, sir, a long time and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: That God governs in the affairs of men. If a sparrow falls to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We've been assured in the sacred writings that unless the Lord builds a house, they labor in vain who build it." --Benjamin Franklin

"America needs God more than God needs America. If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." --Ronald Reagan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your outfits and that colors looks lovely on you! =)

On the 4th of July, we remember and think of the sacrifices our founding fathers made and their lives thereafter were never the same...and it nearly makes me cry.

Anonymous said...

Loverly :)
I saw the pic of Leah and your brother earlier and you look equally beautifully in your attire! What a great idea for the fourth of July!

Lacie V. said...

Very nice outfits, Cheri. Your shirt is a beautiful shade of blue!

Thank you for sharing these wonderful quotes with us.

Blessings to your home ~
Lacie V.

Cheri said...

Thankyou, ladies! They brightened up my day; almost as bright as the shade of lipstick I was wearing! =)