Saturday, January 12, 2013

Lots of "New"

Family time, Christmas, and New Years came and went. Way to quickly. School started on Monday, so the first week is offically over and my weekend started with working at Starbucks. I started training as a barista before the break, and now I'm a regular part timer there making everyone their favorite lattes and frappachinos. It's great fun, but what is even more fun is making the more complicated "custom" drinks for the regulars and them saying you did it perfectly. Yay! :)

Trying to juggle work with being a full time student and practicing violin and piano is a wee-bit more difficult than I had anticipated, but I think it should go fairly well if I can somehow prioritize and schedule my time. More often than not I'm one of those that takes life as it comes, but then get in a jam when there are "must-do" things to squeeze in that I run out of time for. Any tips from those who live by lists and schedules? :)

Yesterday I was super thrilled to have bought an ear training book for a music class. The campus bookstore was selling it for an outrageous price, so I looked it up on Amazon and found it there for close to $20 less. Yay! :) I got free two-day shipping, too, since I'm a student/Prime member. In fact, there is a special going on of getting a free 6-month trial period if you have an .edu e-mail address. Check it out!

All but one class is music this semester. Our orchestra is doing Mozarts 40th symphony and another work or two that is yet to be determined. For violin I'm working on the usual stuff (scales, arpeggios, double stops scales, ie, 3rds, 6ths, and octaves ::ahem:: must get those down before I start on 10ths ::ahem::, a couple etudes) finish up the first movement and start on the 2nd of the Bruch concerto, and then in preparation for my junior recital next semester, I'll be starting some unaccompanied Bach on Monday. After attempting a partita and completely ruining it a couple years ago, I've stayed away from even listening to it since, but I think I'm ready for it now. I love the clean simplicity of Bach. Of course Hilary Hahn's CD is always a favorite and a great inspiration to model after in the practice room.

Speaking of which, I'm behind on practicing and will be under the knife if I'm not prepared Monday morning, so I'll sign out for now. I've got a post in the works for next week, so watch out for that.

No comments: