This week I was going through my large tub which holds my pitiful looking stash of fabric (I guess that's a good thing if you're wanting to get through to the bottom!) my historical dresses, some childhood play dresses, and original vintage aprons.
Coming across a plastic bag that was stuffed with my 1909 "Beatrix" Shirtwaist (you can see me wearing it here; the 2nd set of three pictures), a poly/cotton prairie skirt, and my Gibson Girl blouse.
Long before I had a blog or got into historical sewing, I remember making two blouses that seemed to take me out of my limited skills and slowly ease me into more complicated things. One was this Gibson Girl blouse from Folkwear Patterns. Having grown up watching Anne of Green Gables, Anne of Avonlea, and the TV series of Road to Avonlea, I wanted to make something lightweight and "romantic." It was more of a heavy burden trying to make it! I recall getting flustered and confused, and leaving it on my sewing tables for days before I wanted to see it again. :)
I made it out of an ecru Broadcloth fabric and used fabric-covered buttons for the back closure. I think those horrid covered buttons must have been in vogue when I made this blouse. I never did like them.
Stumbling across this blouse today, I noticed 2 or 3 buttons missing (a frequent problem with covered buttons!) so I happily took the remaining buttons off and replaced them with some buttons from my stash. Granted, they are plastic and don't lend to the loveliness of this Edwardian style blouse, they'll fit the bill until I can find something else suitable.
Now I think I should completely replace the skirt with something more refined and not so prairie muffin-ish. Should probably turn on some of those old and dear films for some inspiration!
NEW! Special Edition "Dunmore" 18th c. Shoes in Red/White
41 minutes ago