Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I can't think of a good title...

Well, I haven't posted much lately just because my time in the sewing room has been slim....

I have however been rummaging through our "attic" (ie, our storage room in the basement) and came across a few historical things that I threw into a plastic bag for good riddence, but Arabella seems like them! =) I didn't take the time to iron prior to taking pictures, so please pardon the wrinkles!

This is my Gibson Girl Blouse along with an altered prairie skirt that is very flared (I could probable wear a hoop skirt with it!). Two different eras, but they seem to suit each other:
And look what I found at an antique/flea market yesterday! For $5, I couldn't pass it up when I usually see them for over $20. I have always admired the the cameo brooches on the Anne movies, Road to Avonlea, and other such films.:

Then I pulled out my unfinished blouse from the Romantic era. The fabric is slippery, silky and ... shall I say ... not fun to work with! But I like the style and collar, so that is on my table now to finish up.

And now for the project that I'm currently working on: a swimsuit! I bought the pattern online, and it looks like it would go together very easy, but I'm having problems with the elastic around the neckline sticking out:
The pattern is from Fashionably Modest Patterns, so would any of you ladies know what I'm doing wrong here, providing that is, you've also made a swimsuit from the pattern? Advice anyone? I keep re-reading the directions and I am 95% sure that I've done it right. You never know with me though ... I learn better by being taught more than I would by reading a pattern or manual. =)

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Pretty brooch!

Is the swimsuit for yourself? It's a nice fabric!

Cheri said...

Yes, the swimsuit will be for me, Elisabeth. Hopefully I can get it done and actually USE it before the summer is over! =)

LeAnne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LeAnne said...

Sorry - I messed up my last comment.

Anyways, you should finish your suit. You might need it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Cheri, I have used this pattern, although I've used this one more: www.modest-swimwear.net Anyhow, I had the same problem with the neckline gaping and in my case, being a little low. I talked to a friend who has made swimsuits and does the elastic in the neckline, and she told me what she does. You measure the neckline like they say, and cut the elastic a few inches SHORTER than the measurement, instead of the same as. That way it pulls it up tighter and makes it work better. It worked really good for me and seemed to solve my dillemna. I hope this helps, just saw this and thought I should share what I know, even though not much. Hope it goes together well. In Christ, Ruth Ann

Michelle said...

Too bad I didn't see this post a while back - I actually made my own maternity swimsuit because all the ones online were styles I didn't like, or it was a design I liked but was made out of hideous fabric.

Anyway...what I do is exactly what the person said above - I think I read in a book on making lingere that you cut the elastic 70% less than the place you're putting it. Fold the edge over the elastic once and stretch and do a wide zig zag stitch along it. If that still doesn't work, then ditch the elastic, so a simple casing and use a drawstring : D