Saturday, November 17, 2007

"There is nothing I love better than a country dance!"


Yesterday I received an invitation for an English Country Dance that would be held down in the Big City, but after having been down there twice this week and half way down there once, I am quite tired of the drive down there.

I guess my reasons for declining would be that:



  • It would be another late night

  • I have have not started sewing my green Regency spencer jacket (like Lizzie's on the the A&E version) and that would be a must during this time of the year.

Has anyone ever been to an English Country dance, or Regency ball of some kind? I would dearly love to learn how to dance in that fashion (any kind of dance after the 1912 era does not interest me). Does anybody know of websites that might give tips or some such information?

3 comments:

Leah Christine Imagery said...

Actually, what Lydia said, was, "We danced every dance and MARY none." :)

Cheri said...

Oh really? Well then I shall have to think of something different for the subject line!

Robert said...

The site http://www.oregonregencysociety.com/ has some video clips of a regency ball they put on.

Another site is http://englishcountrydancing.blogspot.com/ which is by Laura of ORS who teaches ECD in Oregon.

There is also http://www.intercityscot.org/classList.php#colorado which lists places that teach Scottish Country Dance which is similiar to ECD.

I haven't done any dancing though since I discovered Jane Austen I've become interested in the dancing of her time.