Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Sneak Preview of 1850's inspired outfit

The skirt has pleats galore. I could have done gathers, but with such a full skirt, and the fabric being striped, pleats just seemed to suit it. I would venture to say that the hem circumference would be around 130" or so.

And the vest, which will be a modern pattern, is going to be made out a silky black shirting type of fabric with subtle black stripes. I had 8 silver vintage buttons that I thought would go well on this. Later on I hope to make a jacket very much like this one, which would make the outfit more historically accurate.

I was going to go all out on this for our music performance, even with proper "underpinnings," but after being scared away by looking at Simplicity's instructions for a corset, I decided to forego that idea.
At the moment I am searching online for a snood to wear, to fit in better with the time period, rather than my black scarf. I wear a scarf all the time anyway, so I wouldn't mind wearing it to the event, but wearing a snood would add an extra "touch." =)

So this ensemble will not be period correct ... more along the lines of a "costume" but I think that it shall be fun to wear. I'll be sure to post pictures when everything is finished.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Don't let corset instructions scare you away! They're really not that hard.

Cheri said...

Regency stays were actually quite easy I found, although time consuming. I figured that civil war era corsets would be the same, but seeing the list of matierals and so forth that I would need, scared me away. Maybe someday when I have money to spend on un-needed stuff, I buy one ready-made... =)

Rachel said...

Do you find that being period-correct can become almost an obsession? :) Once you get started with costumes in a certain area it seems that you just don't stop. I am not sure if I'll make stays for our Colonial events...if I make stays, then I have to make new costumes to fit with them, and so on...

Cheri said...

Rachel, to answer your question, YES. =) ...It is especially bad considering that I really have no occasion to wear my "Regency correct" outfit anywhere. =P Well, perhaps if I were to attend an English Country dance, but that hasn't happened yet.

But even still. Who cares if I have correct stays, or modern undergarments that will give the sillouette needed for a Regency dress? No one is going to be seeing them, right? =)

With this stripe skirt, I am wearing an a-line bridal crinoline and I guess that isn't "period correct," but then neither is a hoop skirt for the 1850's. I came to the point of, "I don't care" and bought what I wanted. =)

LOL, didn't mean to write so much ... I should have e-mailed you. ::wink::