I thought I'd make a little sewing diary while working on the Regency robe. It may not be extensive, as once I get started, it takes A LOT for me to stop. =) So anyway, here it goes....
Many of my sewing friends create what they refer to as "muslins." Basically, it is using muslin, cheap fabric, or scraps to use as a "tester" for a new project. Being a person who invisions something in my head, I usually just start cutting into fabric and just do it "free hand" to how I want it. But after a few mishaps, and as I find myself buying more fabric on the "quality" side and not your $1 a yard fabric from Walmart, I am realizing that it DOES pay to make a "test run."
One gifted friend of mine does amazing alterations to her clothes, clothes from thrift stores, or clothes that she passes onto her sisters, and it always baffles me as to how she does it! If I try to alter something already sewn, it usually ends up into a nightmare! =)
So that all said, I figured that if I was going to attempt to make something with good fabric (::cough:: sometimes you have to pay for what you want to get!) I had better take the time and energy to do make a muslin first.
But first of all, I had to make the pattern. Using the basic Regency gown pattern from Sense & Sensibility, I slightly altered the back pieces and then drew free-handly, with the help of some pictures, the front parts.
Being happy with the pattern, I began sewing...
And this is what I got:
Though being fairly pleased, the front side area seemed to gape quite a bit, and looked like it needed a dart. So for the lining of my muslin, I sewed a dart in, and then cut the "outer" layer according to the shape of the new front part since I don't want an actual dart in the finished product. After I tried on the finished muslin, it fit like a charm! =) I will still probably alter the front band part. It looks like it needs a little bit more something where it and the front piece meet. Maybe like an inch taller up at the top...
Planning on then cutting into my peach material, I had the idea of first making an olive green linen robe to match the above Regency dress, which will be listed on ebay hopefully within the next day or so, just as a first run tester. I am 99.99% sure that it will work, but "just in case"...
And thanks to JoAnn's having their linen and buttons on sale, I was able to purchase what I had in mind! My next step is cutting it out.
Edited to add: PTL! Erin's website is finally working after it being down for several weeks!!
Here's the Alabama Chanin Wrap Dress
16 hours ago