Thursday, March 13, 2008

A happy seamstress

If you're apart of the S&S board, you probably would have seen that yesterday, something that I have thought much about, and have wanted for a lengthy time, finally arrived in the mail --


Many well-respected seamstress/costumers have highly recommended Jane Arnold's Patterns of Fashion books, and I finally bought one of them! =) The one I got is like the above ... dating from 1660 to 1860. In there, it shows you real examples of clothing worn in that time frame with actual patterns in there! Of course, they are majorly scaled down, but with a "one square = one inch" format, and with some trial & error muslins, just imagine all the things you could make!! =D

And then earlier this week, I found out that my "highly looked-up to and admired seamstress and friend" Amanda has designed more Edwardian patterns! What's great about these too is that they are download-able! I can hardly wait to get started on a dress one of these patterns! I'm envisioning a Kimono Dress & Crossover Bodice Overdress made in a cheery butter-yellow. Hmm, now I'll have to find some yellow lace fabric and trim...

Well, I have a couple things on my sewing table that I'd like to work on this weekend that include the last of the peasant shirts, some aprons, a 1930's bed-jacket, a linen Regency robe, and possibly a late 18th century gown. Obviously I won't get them ALL done, but I need to start somewhere so I'm off until next time!

8 comments:

Mackenzie said...

Thanks for sharing about those new patterns...I love the lace yoked version! :)

~ Shannon said...

Congratulations on your new Janet Arnold book! Of the two volumes I've seen, that one is my favorite. I can't wait to see the projects you make from it :)

I've given you a blog award; stop over if you get the chance!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

Neuropoet said...

Every time I stop by your blog I wish I had the ability/time to sew! I would love to be able to take beautiful fabrics and make something lovely. Your new pattern book look like it will bring you many hours of joy!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Peace,
~Jenny

Anonymous said...

Cheri,

I found your blog a few months ago and have loved reading it and viewing your pictures. You are quite inspiring and have infact, inspired me to sew after a break of many years.

I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future and I thank you for sharing your time, talent and inspiration!

Blessing!
Kelly

Cheri said...

Thanks ladies, you all are so encouraging. =) I think I shall be having lots of fun in the next few weeks! =D

Maria said...

How fun!

Rachel said...

That does look quite tempting...

Cheri said...

Knowing all the 18th century sewing you do, Rachel, I think you'd be very inspired by this book! I can show it to you on Sunday if you'd like. =)