Friday, February 06, 2009

The Making of a Bodiced Petticoat - Part 2

If there are any gentlemen reading my blog today, you might as well find another blog to visit, as today's post won't be of any interest to you whatsoever.

I was able to work on this a little bit more this afternoon, and found that hand-stitching does get faster with time and experience. Yay! =)

Reluctantly after I had everything enclosed, I added 3 boning channels where the darts were, per side, and tried it on. To my great surprise and delight, it fit me nearly like a glove! I say nearly, because there were a few things that I thought, "Hmm, lets see if we can get this any better..." So I added another channel to the front, and one farther out on the side.

Before I sewed the lining to the outer fabric, I used some some interfacing that I had, and had one long piece going horizontally (you can kind of see it in the picture below) and two going vertical on the sides of each set of darts and boning. Whether it lends any stiffness or not, I'm not sure. Oh well. =)
I almost think that I like the fit and comfortableness of this more than I do stays! I'm looking forward to sewing the skirts on next.

Before taking it off Arabella, I slipped the gown over to see how the necklines would match or if the petticoat shoulder straps would stick out or not...

It's about as perfect as one can get.

::happy sigh::

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Simply gorgeous!

Sarah Jane said...

Very beautiful! You're right, the necklines are about as perfect as one could get! I can't wait to see the finished petticoat!

Cheri said...

Thankyou! =) I have the skirt on, now I need to bind the waist seam, add the buttons and button holes, and then the hem.