Saturday, March 28, 2009

Linen in Ruffles

Several years ago I purchased a couple yards of some beautiful slate blue linen to make up into an ankle length skirt with a bias ruffle. Unfortunately, I only had enough to cut out one of two of the skirt pieces and the bias flounce. Going back to JoAnn's to pick up some more, I was in utter dismay to find that ours, all surrounding fabric stores, and ones well over an hour away no longer carried this shade of blue. Stashing it away until the spring in hopes to get more when linen was "in season", I was only disappointed again and again as I kept it in a box for a couple years.

This spring however I decided it was high time to do something with it. So, I cut the front skirt in two, only to make a very short skirt. To remedy this situation, I simply added a longer white flounce underneath the blue one, to add some wanted length. Ta da!

A bit of crocheted lace encircles the top of it too, adding a special touch of feminine elegance.
Overall, I am very pleased with how it turned out, although I'm not sure if I will keep it or sell it. It certainly makes one feel like twirling in it!

15 comments:

sarah m said...

That's really cute!! You did a great job!

LeneJ said...

Oh PLEASE let me buy that skirt!! It's wonderful!!!

YayaOrchid said...

Great job, Cheri! I can see how you'd want to keep it. It's really nice! BTW, love your pedicure!

Rachel said...

I remember that fabric and the search for it...glad you found something to do with it!

Jecca said...

I'm a new reader to your blog and just had to say this skirt is absolutely gorgeous! I love it :) Great job!

-Jess.

Cheri said...

You all are so kind. =)

LeneJ, would you really like to buy it? If you're serious, contact me at: ajoyfulhandmaiden@yahoo.com

Sarah said...

It is SO cute! What a great idea for adding length. I have a bunch of smaller amounts of yardage I don't really know what to do with since they are not long enough for a full length skirt. This is a wonderful way to use up some of them. Gorgeous!

Tiffany said...

That is too cute! I love how feminine and fun it looks.

Tiffany

Unknown said...

I love it! I think it looks beautiful! I especially love the ruffle at the bottom! :)

Me said...

Lovely, Cheri--you are very creative!

Cheri said...

Thankyou, ladies. =) It was fun to try to be creative with what I had and limited fabric.

And by the way, the skirt has been spoken for.

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

Very cute--and great thinking on how to turn your lemons into lemonaide!

Homegrown Family said...

I love it! So cute I am going to try my hand at linen one of these days. I love it but have never sewn it.
Erika @ homegrown family

Ruth said...

Very pretty! I love the style. I just finished making Lydia a skirt for spring that is a similar pattern and hope to make some for myself after Baby. = )

Anonymous said...

Adorable! Love your creativity!
~ Blessings

Grace (from S&S)