Friday, June 25, 2010

Two out of Six

Every once and while people will write asking if we (my sister and I, who ran a modest apparel business out of out home for several years) accept custom orders. This month has been the month for such requests. And guess what they are? Aprons! =)

An etsy customer wrote asking if she were to send in her own fabric, if I could make her six aprons out of the 1940's "Gracie" style. Of course I said yes, and so this week I've been working on cutting them all out, and have two sewn up already. They are turning out pretty cute, if I do say so myself!

The other custom order is for four aprons in a style similar to the 1950's "Margaret" apron. My sister and I will share this order. It is this dear 80+ year old lady's pattern, and Erin took her my other styles to see if she might like something different, but no, she liked her own pattern with no pockets, no rick rack.

I can't imagine an apron without a pocket or rick rack! Can you?

4 comments:

Gillian said...

I did manage to construct one apron without rick-rack (Jenni Chancey's Edwardian apron, which doesn't seem to lend itself to rick-rack) but they all have pockets. I guess it's each to his (or in this case her) own, though! And I'm sure any apron you make will be lovely, even if it's lacking in rick-rack and pockets :-)

Cheri said...

Gillian,

I too have made aprons with no extra frills(ie, rick rack, lace, buttons, etc) but they always have at least a pocket. =) Jennie Chancey's apron is a favorite to make, too. The one I have out of that pattern is so old and stained that I use it mainly now for working in the gardens.

Anyway, now that I'm done rambling, thanks for writing! =)

Crystal Arcand said...

I'd love to see an apron for ladies in the style of the children's smock you had in the shop. It's my favorite style of apron because it covers even in the back and there is no pressure on my neck.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine an apron without a pocket..no!
But so glad you are getting the work.