Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What to do When it Rains


 
My stash of scrap fabric is overwhelmingly full. It's overflowing and piling quite high that I'm surprised the fabrics haven't fallen over. But what does one do when quilting is practically a foreign word to this seamstress? I even found a bag of organic cotton batting in the closet.
 
Cutting a few strips of some fabrics near the top of the pile, I cut 8 uniform ones and sewed four together making two squares. I used these as a pattern to cut out square pieces from some of that batting. Using the old standby of "right sides together," a few stitches, turning it right side out all I had to do was some top stitching and some fake "quilting lines," and out came a pot holder. 


It's not perfect. But I'm not worried. I mean, when was the last time you looked at your neighbors potholder to see how perfect it was?

Exactly my point.


I may make up a few more of these to take with me this fall when I set up housekeeping with a few of my college friends. They're easy and simple to make on a rainy morning, and not to mention useful.

The rain is gone and the first few lines of William Wordsworth's "Resolution and Independence" befit the afternoon:

There was a roaring in the wind all night;
The rain came heavily and fell in floods;
But now the sun is rising calm and bright;
The birds are singing in the distant woods;
Over his own sweet voice the Stock-dove broods;
The Jay makes answer as the Magpie chatters;
And all the air is filled with pleasant noise of waters.


All things that love the sun are out of doors;
The sky rejoices in the morning's birth;
The grass is bright with rain-drops;--on the moors
The hare is running races in her mirth;
And with her feet she from the plashy earth
Raises a mist, that, glittering in the sun,
Runs with her all the way, wherever she doth run.

No comments: