At one point I thought that this dress may have to be put up for sale since, ::ahem:: my body curves are slightly different than Arabella's (though I have my dress form set to my measurements, and yes, that is her name). But I slipped the frock on just a few moments ago, and it looks better than it did a few days ago.
With only having 1/2" seam allowance and then serged seams inside, it wasn't worth picking apart. The fabric still clings to curves that I'm trying to eliminate, but perhaps if I wore a full length slip it would help some.
Click these to see the "before" pictures
- The dress in the making
- Fabric choices
- The pattern I used: #3007 1930s Button Dress
Anyway, enough with those details and onto the pictures!
|I used my serger to roll hem these sleeves. There was NO way on this earth that I was going to do any other method with this fabric!|
|I love the back neck tie closure. Despite great amounts of ironing, those seams refused to lay flat.|
|The back view|
|I was glad that buttons were on sale a few weeks ago at JoAnns. These looked the most "art deco" to me. Sorry for the blurry picture. My camera didn't want to cooperate this morning.|
|It has a size zipper closure. I've done hundreds (no joke) of invisible zippers, but never before in the side seam. It turned out perfectly.|
And I had to grab a quick shot in my mother's bedroom. Someday I'll do better than throwing my hair into a ponytail, and do a nice photo shoot. Which reminds me that I still need to do one of my silk Edwardian dress. Goodness, that was over a year ago!
Next up on my table is a 19-teens Garden Party dress using vintage white laces, mother of pearl buttons, polished pastel cotton, and white airy fabrics. The design is still "on the drawing board" and I'm trying to figure out which patterns to use for it. No worries, I'll share all these things with you as they progress!