Monday, June 03, 2013

In Progress: a 1930s frock

You saw the beginnings of this dress, but I didn't tell you that it's a 1930s dress. What I like about it that it's modern enough to wear out in public and people won't look at you strangely or ask you if you're in a theater production (though it has been many years, I have had people asked me that).
 

One confession of mine as a seamstress with a new pattern: I greatly dislike following printed directions. Just SHOW me how to do and I'll do it, but trying to read a pattern is sometimes like reading another language.

My knowledge and skill of crocheting, knitting, tatting, and embroidery all comes from willing teachers (my grandmother, a mentor, and friends). That's why I know nothing of quilting or cross-stitch; the directions never make sense.

As a self-taught seamstress (lots of failures, ripping and re-doing) and a few people along the way who demonstrated how something is done, I will often come up with my own way or method of putting something together. That can be a good and bad thing. Good if you see something in the store or on someone that you want to recreate. Bad when you're working with an unfamiliar pattern. But like my college math professor instilled in me, "Do what it says," I was/am determined to get through this pattern!


I am pretty pleased that these shoulder corners turned out without puckers or anything weird going on that required seam ripping. Looking over the directions, I think I have "the worst" of the construction of this dress behind me.

Now I just need to go to the store and buy interfacing for the next step. I rarely use the stuff and never have it on hand. :)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Cheri, what a beautiful pattern! I love your choice of fabric. I cannot wait to see the completed dress. : )

Lauren | Chic Éthique said...

Oh, that looks like it will be lovely! I love the fabrics and design. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Cheri
So pretty! Love the blue print.
What kind of fabric is it?
Hope you post a picture of it when
you're done
Irene