Tuesday, July 18, 2017

The First and Second Gooseberry Picking

Like everything else that grew while we were away, the gooseberries were ready to be picked. It wasn't until a couple of days ago that I actually made time to pick the sunripened ones and picked what I could until the sun went down behind the mountains.

Today I did a second picking, and decided to hull them before supper. Actually, with gooseberries, you most often times will hull both ends. When picking them, a short stem comes with it, and the deadened spring flower on the other side never drops off in growing season.

I checked the bush more more time tonight, and there are a few green ones left that I'll add to my bag (now in the freezer) for a small pie for later. I'll be sure to share the recipe at some point! It's so delicious, and I actually prefer to eat it cold.



On a side note, I'm wearing one of my Ginnie aprons today and had to smile at a recent conversation that I've had this summer (maybe it has happened twice, now that I think about it...). When something about sewing, etsy, or aprons get brought up, I'll casually mention that I love to sew aprons and have sold many online over the last 10 years or so. Some people think it's awesome, and other people just look at me funny and ask, "And do you actually wear one yourself?" :) That's not even a question, but they don't know that, so I reply with yes and let them know that I have about a half a dozen of them and will wear them when I'm in the kitchen or out harvesting something from the garden.

P.S. Just so you know: Thankfully, I have only shown up at the grocery store wearing an apron just once. I think. ;)

No comments: