Monday, November 11, 2013

Pattern Collection: Historically Inspired

Happy Monday! Sorry if  your hopes were in having the final installment of my pattern collection up on the blog, but my weekend was quite busy and eventful.
 
I put this collection together by sorting the patterns by era. It's rather obvious which is my favorite, but I've been trying to reach out of my "comfort zone" and not dislike other eras.
 
Regency:
 

Don't ask why, but for some reason when I brightened up this picture, it cropped it too. And without my permission! But if anyone is familiar with Sense & Sensibility patterns, you'll recognize these. While I haven't picked up the Regency era much lately, several years ago that's all I did. Most of what was sewn was for selling on ebay and for awhile, they sold extremely well.
 
Turn of the Century/Edwardian:

These are my patterns that aren't from S&S. ;) The first one is from another favorite company (hi, Amanda!) who makes many fun patterns: Hint of History. At one point I had her 1912 dress pattern and I regrettably sold it, but years before doing so I made a dress out of it. It's an excellent pattern if you're wanting something Downton Abbey looking!
 
The second pattern in the top row is a reproduction of an actual pattern. I bought it online from a vintage fashion library website of some sort. It reminded me very much of Anne's "cow chasing dress" in the movie, "Anne of Avonlea." Someday I hope to recreate it. :)
 
Moving on to the Folkwear pattern, doesn't it look like something Diana Barry would wear? And who can put down a matching apron pattern for ladies and girls? The pattern comes with a few other tea-related things like maybe a teapot cover, napkins, and such.
 
And then the lovely wedding dress pattern put out by Sullivan Entertainment that is identical to Anne Shirley's dress when she married Gil. Many of you are waiting for a full photo shoot to replace the quick one taken on the veranda of me wearing my take on this pattern.

 
Here is another set of pattern from S&S. I've made something from all of these except for the Beatrix Potter jacket pattern.

 
One of the many things that I love about S&S patterns is that many of them come from or are adapted from original patterns. When making something, and stepping into a finished garment, you feel as if you are from that era. :) Once again, I've made something from all of these patterns. Most recognizable of course would be the 1910s tea gown made into a Titanic "Swim dress" shown here and here. Then of course I've made two dresses from the 1914 afternoon dress: my first one back in 2007 and then my second one made this year.

1930s - 1940s:
After the Edwardian era, the 1930s is probably my favorite though I'm growing a fondness to some of the 1920s fashions (thanks Downton Abbey!). The first pattern is a Vogue reproduction of a 1933 dress pattern. I saw this on etsy and immediately fell in love with the design and details. It somehow seemed familiar to me, and then it dawned on me that my friend Laura has this pattern. :) There is a dress cut out in this pattern that is sitting on my table waiting to be sewn, so hopefully before the year is out, you'll see pictures of it completed.

Earlier this year I made a dress out of the Decade's of Style pattern and really liked the way it turned out. Bias cuts aren't the most flattering on me at the present, so not long ago the dress was sold in my etsy shop.

Lastly, there is the 1940s Swing Dress pattern that I used this summer for my sister. You'll remember that the dress was made specifically for a special retro diner themed dinner, and now that it has taken place, she tells me that all she has to show her wearing the dress are a few head shots. I told her the other day that I have many blog readers who want to see the full length of it and on her! :) Hopefully soon I can take her out on a photo shoot for some pictures.

2 comments:

MrsSM said...

Thank you for sharing your collection with your readers.:) You have a wonderful collection, and you reminded me of the Hint of History patterns--those are wonderful!

My tastes line up similarly with yours--I like Edwardian and 1930s. I learned to like the 1930s through movies such as "Jane of Lantern Hill" and children's books such as "McDuff". Whenever Mrs. Chancey puts up the opinion poll for a new pattern, I always go for the 30s.

Cheri said...

So glad you enjoyed seeing what I keep in my pattern collection, MrsSM!

Perhaps we could round up a few more of Mrs. Chancey's customers to vote for a 1930s pattern! ;) I'm anxious to see her Edwardian undergarment line...